Motorcycles are one of the most prominent means of transportation in the world, and this is not only due to the fact that they are comparatively lesser in price and relatively less space taking. It has a lot to do with the craze bikers around the world have for motorcycles. There are billions of motorcycles sold worldwide to people with varying needs and requirements; some buy it to have less hassle acquiring the vehicle, while others might do it out of sheer love for the bikes.
But with motorcycles, one thing can not be ignored, and it can be a lot unsafe compared to a car hence the need to buy safety gear arises immediately as soon as you get a motorcycle because safety comes first, no matter what. And this article guides you into buying one of the most convenient protective headgear in the form of carbon fiber motorcycle helmets.
History of Carbon Fiber:
In the early 1970s, Japan began PAN-based and isotropic carbon-based carbon fiber production. Then later in the 1980s, the anisotropic pitch-based carbon fiber began development and later stormed into the Japanese market. Soon the product started gaining prominence on the world scale, and that led to the involvement of many big companies shifting their attention to carbon fiber and eventually led to the total globalization and commercialization of the said material. From then on, carbon fiber revolutionized multiple manufacturing industries.
What exactly is carbon fiber?
Carbon fiber, also called graphite fiber, is a polymer made entirely from a crystalline solid carbon filament with a diameter of 5 to 10 microns. It happens to be one of the most extensively used materials in the world.
It is preferred by manufacturing firms worldwide due to its various beneficial properties such as strength, which happens to be five times that of steel; stiffness, which is twice that of steel and, best of all, its lightweight property making it a winner in every category.
In addition to the points mentioned above, there are various other sections where carbon fiber is an industry leader, such as containers, medical technology, sports, and recreational equipment, the aerospace industry, tubing, automotive drive shafts, car components, vehicle frames, and many more. All of this is due to it being;
- High in tensile strength
- Less thermal expansion
- High in stiffness
- Low in weight to strength ratio
- Tolerant to excessive heat
- Resistant to chemicals
The practical advantage of Carbon fiber:
As discussed earlier, there are multiple advantages of carbon fiber but let us dive deep into why it ar the best material to build motorcycles helmet;
- The strength provided by the carbon fiber is unmatchable in more ways than one especially given its size. The carbon fiber is easily able to get merged with materials like kevlar, which is a strong heat-resistant synthetic fiber.
- Shock distribution is one of the better qualities of the helmet because it can efficiently deflect shock. More importantly, when a sudden hit is put on it, the force is evenly distributed rather than centralized at the impact point.
- Carbon fiber helmets are more durable than most other helmets. The helmet also gets extra protection from cracka and scratches compared to fiberglass.
- The lightweight property of the helmet made the helmet all that much more comfortable to wear and handle while riding the motorcycle. The light weight also puts less pressure on the neck of the rider and thus can be worn for an extended period for long rides.
- The carbon fiber is known to have heat resistance and thus makes it breathable for wear even in warm weather.
- They save a lot of fuel. For instance, if the same amount of steel or metal were to be used in the vehicles, they would eat a lot of fuel. A study suggested that carbon fiber cut the vehicle’s weight in half, increasing the vehicle’s fuel efficiency and saving over 5000 USD throughout the car’s life span.
- An underrated feature of these helmets is their ability to be aerodynamically sufficient. It comes in a fantastic range of styles and looks which complement the rider as well as their personality.
Features to look for in the helmets:
Due to the extensive usage, helmets have come to be used, and many features are inherently put in the for the overall better experience of the riders. Following are some of the most important features one should look for in motorcycle helmets;
- Vents in the helmets provide ample space for the riders to breathe easily in any type of weather. Often, these vents are installed with filters to keep out the dust and larger pollutants to prevent entering the mouth or nose.
- Carbon fiber helmets are built with an anti-fog system that can counter the visor’s visibility.
- These helmets are mostly built with noise-controlling mechanisms that can stop the high wind sound from entering the ear. Excessive noise can cause a distraction to the rider, and the rider should be able to concentrate on the road rather than other noises.
- The extraction cushion on the neck area and the internal padding make the helmet much more impressive in addition to the abovementioned features.
Ensuring these features in the helmet must be a top priority.
The brand value:
It is important to realize that the better the brand, the better the chances are of the product being of high quality and vice versa. Most prominent global brands manufacture helmets made from carbon fiber, producing some of the best helmets in the market.
The world is swarming with multiple companies being infused with manufacturing the same product. Hence, it is more important to realize the legit brand as it will guarantee comfortability. The chances to choose a great product are substantially enhanced, given the many options available. There are several huge global brands from which a buyer can choose without compromising on quality, design, styling, or anything for that matter.
Types of Carbon fiber helmets:
Many options are available if a person wishes to buy a carbon fiber motorcycle helmet. They need to, first and foremost, decide on what kind of helmet they are looking for. The buyer has the option to choose from n n number of colors and designs. But more importantly, from the outset, there are mainly two types of helmets: carbon fiber half-faced motorcycle helmets, full-faced, open helmets, and modular ones. All of them are total up to the choice of the buyer.
In full-faced helmets, we get protection as well as the ability to travel at a fast speed without worrying about the wind being a hindrance. As for the half-faced helmets, while they are not as safe as the full-faced ones, they are still better than having no helmet; plus, they are comparatively light and come at a lower price point. Finally, modular helmets often come with their advantages as they are most of the time built for specific purposes, such as racing, long-distance rides, and so on.
The thing to check on the helmets:
Before purchasing a carbon fiber motorcycle helmet, one has to make sure that the helmet has a certification and meets international quality standards. It should not have any damage or breakage whatsoever because it is a matter of one’s safety. One should always prefer buying a new carbon fiber helmet. No matter the ride, it will only be complimented by using a good-quality helmet. Ensure that your helmet is not itchy or uncomfortable and easy on the head and the neck, aided by adequate padding and cushioning.
Preferring a carbon fiber motorcycle helmet is a no-brainer over any other material. The helmets come with a fountain of merits and possibly no demerits. Being safe and sound while going for long or even short rides must be a priority in today’s world, given how unpredictable life can be and the increasing number of accident one keeps reading about now and then.