Tactical helmets are the helmets you will need to wear during combat, and these helmets are the ones military people and those who work in law enforcement will wear during their duty. Soldiers and police officers will need to wear the suitable tactical helmets based on the combat situations they get positioned in.
There are various types and models of tactical helmets you can find on the market today, each with their own benefits and features. It’s important for you to pick the right one for yourself, so you can protect your head in the best way in every combat situation. This guide will help you pick the right tactical helmet.
What is a Tactical Helmet, and What Differentiates It from the Other Helmets?
Tactical helmet, often called combat helmet, is the type of helmet you can wear to protect your head during combat. This is the helmet that military personnel often wear when they get sent into the war zone or when they are in training. The tactical helmet can help protect your head from various shocks, traumatic brain injuries, and fatal blows.
Here are the characteristics of a tactical helmet that differentiate it from the other helmets:
- Tactical helmet protects your head against more dangerous threats. There are various dangerous threats you can face during combat, such as bullet attacks, shrapnel, explosions, and other massive shocks that can injure your brain. A tactical helmet can protect your head from those dangerous threats.
- It also has the bulletproof version. Most regular combat helmets don’t have any bulletproof features. However, you can get the bulletproof version of any combat or tactical helmet that you can wear in situations where you have the risk of getting bullet attacks. The bulletproof version will keep your head protected even when you get some bullets coming to your head.
- Law enforcement and military personnel are the primary users of this helmet. Tactical helmets are not the regular helmets common people will need to wear. The tactical helmet is the type of helmet that only law enforcement and military personnel will wear daily to provide the maximum safety and protection for them while on the job.
- Tactical helmet is a combat-ready helmet. It is important to note that the tactical helmet is a combat-ready helmet, which you can wear to engage the enemies in a war zone. You can also see that law enforcement personnel use this helmet at the time of riot or other conflicts where their safety will become a priority.
Features of Tactical Helmets You Should Look For
Tactical helmets come with various features, and depending on the helmet type, you might get unique features you can use in various circumstances. For instance, the basic combat helmet will not have the bulletproof feature. So, you can only use it in situations where you won’t face any bullet attacks when you wear it. Also, there are other features a combat or tactical helmet can have.
Here are the best features of tactical helmets you should look for:
- Outer shell and interior padding quality. The outer shell quality of the combat helmet will determine how good it can protect your head area from shocks, impact, and many other potential dangers. The interior padding quality will help you feel comfortable when wearing the helmet for a long period and reduce the amount of brain injury you receive upon impact.
- Retention and suspension features. The retention and suspension features on the helmet, such as chin strap, counterweight, and liner, will help you fit the helmet on your head with a snug fit. Also, these features will help keep the helmet feel lightweight when you wear it, while keeping the good airflow around the interior helmet area.
- Colors and covers. Various colors are available for combat helmets, so pick the color that will give you the most advantage in the combat area. Helmet covers will also help with your camouflage around the combat area to hide you from enemy sights.
- Overall design and safety certifications. Tactical helmets need to follow certain safety certification standards, which will ensure that the helmets have passed the tests to withstand various shocks and impacts. The overall design of the helmet is also important to help minimize the impact you will get on your head during dangerous times.
- Comms and night vision. The combat helmet should include the communication system that will help you communicate with your team members using secure communication lines that can cover wide areas. Also, the night vision feature can help you enter the combat territory at night and smooth your movements during this time.
Tips for Picking the Best Combat Helmet
Picking the best combat helmet can help protect your head during your duty in combat areas. So, it’s important for you to choose the best helmet you can wear during combat. Remember, failure to pick the right combat helmet can be fatal for you, since it might not give you enough head protection during critical situations.
Here are some tips for picking the best combat helmet for you:
- Consider the combat situation you are entering. You need to pick the tactical helmet that matches well with the combat situation you are entering. A basic combat helmet will suffice if the combat situation won’t require you to have an advanced protection for your head. However, when the combat situation is too dangerous for you to enter, you need the helmet that provides you with even more head protection.
- Choose for a bulletproof helmet when necessary. You need to choose the bulletproof combat helmet when you enter a combat situation where you will be subject to countless bullet attacks. A potential bullet attack situation also requires you to wear a bulletproof tactical helmet to ensure you can protect your head in the best way.
- Check if the helmet is compatible with your accessories. There are various accessories you can mount on your combat helmet, such as cameras, night vision, eye protector, and many others. It’s important to ensure that your tactical helmet is compatible with the combat helmet accessories you have.
- Pick the helmet suitable for your tactical setup. Before entering any combat area, you will need to determine the tactical setup you would like to have. For this purpose, it’s necessary for you to pick the helmet suitable for your tactical setup, making sure that you can include all additional items and accessories for your helmet.
- The helmet must be snug fit for your head. It’s important to ensure the snugness of the helmet on your head, as it is necessary for your head protection. A snug fit combat helmet can provide you with the maximum protection for your head, ensuring your safety from various shocks and impact. Also, it can give the best protection from fatal brain injuries upon impact.
Avoid Common Mistakes in Choosing the Right Tactical Helmet
With the various models and types of the tactical helmets you can find on the market today, it’s best for you to be more cautious when trying to pick one for yourself. You need to look for various factors and compare one helmet model with the others before deciding.
Here are some common mistakes to avoid in choosing the right tactical helmet:
- Picking the cheapest tactical helmet. Price shouldn’t be your primary consideration when picking a tactical helmet for you. Instead, protection features should be your primary considerations, since you will wear this helmet in combat or conflict areas, which will put you into dangerous situations.
- Buying bulk from military surplus. Sometimes, the military will sell their surplus combat helmets for a cheaper price. It’s best for you not to rely on these surplus military tactical helmets, as these helmets are often generic helmets with limited features. You need to pick the combat helmet personalized for you to use in your combat situation, so you need to avoid using generic or basic combat helmets.
- Buying a tactical helmet that doesn’t fit on your head. You need to ensure that your tactical helmet can give a snug fit for your head. Buying a combat helmet that doesn’t fit on your head will mean less protection for you, and this is something you need to avoid.
- Picking the generic combat helmet. A generic or basic combat helmet that doesn’t offer any additional features is not the best helmet for you to pick. The basic helmet can only provide you with the basic protection for your head, no more and no less. It’s best for you to pick the one that offers advanced protection for your head, along with more extra features.
- Choosing the combat helmet that is not suitable for your combat situation. It’s best to know about the purpose of the tactical helmet you are going to buy. For the heavy combat situation, it’s best for you to use a bulletproof helmet with advanced head protection features. However, you can use the non-bulletproof one if you will use it in a situation that doesn’t pose any dangerous threats to you.
The right tactical helmet should provide complete protection for your head from dangerous shocks and fatal blows, and it should also protect your head from potential brain injuries. The protection features of the combat helmet should be your priority in choosing the right one for yourself, and you should pick the suitable combat helmet for your duty or combat situation.